Monday, March 6, 2017

Ultramarines & Red Corsairs

As I mentioned in my last post, I have a large collection of Ultramarines and Red Corsairs. And as we all know, Warhammer 40k is all about the awesome minis. So without further bullshit, let's take a look!

 Captain Maccus Aurelius - My first space marine captain.

The Ultramarines were my first, and arguably favorite, army. Something about that blue power armor really made me want to learn all about 40k. But I couldn't honestly talk about how I got into the hobby without mentioning that freaking awesome game Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine.

We're reaching levels of badass that shouldn't be possible!

I loved this game. I played it everyday after school, and I was quite good at it too. In a way, this game made me into a Space Marine. I fought on the battlefields of 40k as an Ultramarine for hours and hours, often to the neglect of my homework. (Sorry Mom) And after talking online with other gamers that were just as passionate about the Warhammer universe, I decided to make my way down to the local hobby shop and pick up Assault on Black Reach. Warhammer 40k's 5th edition starter set.

My first Ultramarines

My best friend told me if I was going to play Ultramarines I better paint them well. Because, according to him, "Everybody plays Ultramarines." So from that day forward I committed to improving my painting.

Ultramarines ready for battle

Fast forward a few years, and I managed to collect a modest force of Ultramarines. Soaking in all the tips and learning all about the hobby along the way. My painting did improve, and today I consider myself a pretty decent painter. I also found a club of friendly people to play with as well. I made an effort to try and attend the club every week. However, It's a pretty decent drive from where I live so I wasn't always able to make it. One fateful day at the club I had mentioned to my friend Corey that I was interested in playing Chaos space marines, and I thought the Red Corsairs looked really cool.

The Red Corsairs

Corey was kind enough to gift me an entire red corsair army. Yeah. But it wasn't entirely free, I did have to promise to paint it! A task I was more than excited to undertake. And well you can see the result of that!

The Red Corsairs prepare for battle!

By this time Dark Vengeance, the 6th edition starter set had been released. A perfect addition to my new chaos army. I also bought supplement units for my new renegade chapter. Things like Rhinos, Raptors, etc. 

 Speed is key


I can't thank Corey enough for his kindness. I love to play with these models, and I'm still adding to the army! I'll try to post some more pictures of the entire army in rank and file later.

So now you know how I got into Warhammer 40k and a little more about the armies I play. I absolutely love this hobby and I truly don't ever seem to have enough time to indulge in it. (Student) Well I suppose this post has gone on long enough. More to come!

3 comments:

  1. The justice you did to this army is all the thanks I need! The Red Corsairs were given to me by another blogger who chose to remain (at least publicly) anonymous after he saw a 'test model' of my own. Honestly I was so disappointed in the CSM codex that I didn't know what to do with em, but then you showed an interest in the Corsairs so...

    That said, I do still have one Red Corsair from that army. He wields the a murder sword, and it has Tigurius' name still inscribed on its blade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we might need a rematch! I'll bring the land raider ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That won't be much of a contest since currently, he's the sole survivor of my CSM forces.

      Delete